Sunday 6 November 2011

Putting into practice rather than words -- Exposure and Movement

Recently I have been talking about Photography but I haven't really shown the progress and I think it is important that I do.
Long Exposure/Movement Experiment 1 
Shutter speed: 1/60 ( one sixtieth of a second)

The quicker the Shutter the more frozen the image will be
and vice versa. 
Earlier on this cool, misty Autumnal day, I ventured out into the garden to put into practice Movement and Exposures that I have been present in my lectures over past two weeks. Below I have a looked at Shutter speed and learning how the exposure tools on my camera actually work. I still have more to learn. I thought I may as well share here what I have been doing, because this is what it is all about. Photography and the process - My Journey. Once I have finished Uni and my blogs have been accessed then the work there will be gone, so I thought I could keep a record right here, for always.

Long Exposure/Movement Experiment 2
Shutter speed: 1/15 sec
What I love about blogging is that I can record what I have done and come back to a post that I create a year previously and see how far I have come. Learning can be a slow process and I find that frustrating. I have the tendency to want to be able to achieve something straight away. Taking singing for example; it is a natural talent of mine and I have always been able to hit notes. Even so, I have improved quite a bit from when I first started even though it is still a natural talent.  All talents have to start off at a low point somewhere for them to progress.
Anyone can take photographs but having an eye for compositions and creative approaches is only the baseline of this talent. Since I have been at University I have begun to develop my skills. Before I started, I knew the basics. I began learning about the technical elements; I was shown them but I didn't really understand them and thats an important thing. Understanding. With the correct understanding you can really achieve what you really want to and in the appropriate manner.
Long Exposure/Movement Experiment 3
Shutter speed: 1/4 sec
At Uni, we have Blogs that we keep to track our progress and for the students to view. Whenever I write and upload in mine, it always feels so educational and not really creative. I have to really think what I want to say rather than typing away and letting the words flow with ease.

This is only the second time that I have tried this technique. It doesn't have to be of anything significant in particular, would have been good for Halloween.



Tip: Set your camera to Shutter Priority and it will sort out the Aperture so you don't have to. It is much quicker and you still get "ghosting" results with the longer Shutter speed. Most cameras go up to 30 seconds but this is only best at night.

Example of Shallow Depth of Field
Shutter speed: 1/125
Aperture: f/8
















Want to visit my Flickr photostream with the featured photos in my blog and more then click the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brown_eyed_dreamer/

No comments:

Post a Comment