Wednesday 16 November 2011

The Lovely Linda...

Linda McCartney was an inspiration.

I have just been reading and admiring the Photographs of late wife of Sir Paul McCartney in the tribute book 'Linda McCartney, Life in photographs" in a cosy little bookshop in Prague. In hope to pass some time, after my trip to the National Museum (was quicker than I would have thought) I stumbled across some books in English, that happened to be on Photography. While flicking through a book on Portraits, I noticed in the corner of my eye familiar face and recognisable photograph of my favourite Beatle and Musician, Paul McCartney. With a large interest in his music and the man behind the persona, I have started to take more interest into his first wife who was one of the first female photographers to go about her own. I found this inspiring. I felt I was loosing my way a bit. Was I big enough for this but I feel more secure now. Using 35mm film made this book more exciting for me. Linda certainly has a special way of taking photographs and capturing the emotion beyond a subject. She described photography to her as an "inner thing". If she felt the need to "click " then she would. I see where was coming from. Absolutely!

I am picky with what I take. It has to have some value to me. My family often say "Why don't you take a picture of that?" and I would simple say "..because I don't want to". Photographers want to photograph the unique aspects of life or even taboo subjects at a different angle - Their Angle.

Prague is very unique and as part of a brief; we are not allowed to take tourist shots; the pictures everyone takes of the same statue or landmark and so on.

Photography is certainly about finding yourself, Linda mentioned something along the lines of this in her book. Paul said that "Photography was an extension of Linda's personality and I feel that is an extension of mine.

1 comment:

  1. You certainly do have a distinctive style to your photographs... I think I could recognise one of yours without knowing it was yours. I really like your angle and the way you use colours (without knowing much about photography I can't really say anything detailed, but basically, I love your photos.)

    Keep kicking some arse! xxx

    ReplyDelete