Monday 28 November 2011

The pace of life through observation...

You could say being ill is a set back in life. In a way I have seen it like that. In my University education it is a busy time. Within a matter of weeks, project portfolios should be coming together and sessions in the darkroom are to be taken with full advantage and I feel a bit frustrated and stuck in bed wanting to do these things so I can achieve the best grades possible.

However, at the end of the day I may get my degree out of this Photography course but the result of that won't make me a better Photographer, it will just be a label to suggest I studied Photography somewhere in my education. What I am saying is; a photography degree is not essential to get into the Photography Industry, unlike like a Doctorate or Dentistry. I guess what I mean is that I am gaining the skills of a Photographer and these project deadlines are merely stepping stones in the long run. But why do I care so much? I want to do well, I want to achieve and I have seen that I have been risking my health because of it. Being too determined and now I'm in a state of exhaustion and coughing away while if I paced myself, then I could be working towards an assignment that has to be in for tomorrow.

My thoughts shifted this morning; realising that being ill is not necessarily a set back in the words of obstruction, but in fact a set back in observation. Photographers are said to be observers of the world and I think I need to take this time to observe mine and ask myself what is significant in my life and how I can achieve it. I think I need to forget being a Hare in my life and possibly taking the Tortoise role where being slow and steady really does win the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment