Sunday 18 September 2011

Photography at University...one step closer..

I guess it really shows how long it has been since I have written, but I am liking Blogger's new interface; the old one was just not inspiring, I was never really keen, but this WOW!

Now, this post isn't about me talking about Blogger updating itself or how long I've written because more often than not, thats how I start my posts. Agreeably boring, I know.

University:
Now this certainly sounds like a big word, an overwhelming word that is on the lips of many of my friends at this current time. Some have already made tracks, the furthest being best friend from secondary school, Molly, who has taken a five hour journey up to York to begin the next chapter of her life. Where am I going? London! West London that is pretty much a forty-five minute train journey from my little village on the river Thames that I have literally spend my whole life growing up.
Unlike the majority of friends who are going to University, I'll be enrolling tomorrow for the FdA course in Photography and then at the end of the day...coming home....

Yeah..that doesn't sound quite how the normal stretch of University life is but coping with the fact I haven't been allocated a place in Halls means that I will be commuting two to three days a week for my lectures.
It would have just been so much easier for me to live there and as much as I hate cooking, cleaning and all sorts, I actually WANT to do those things. I'm a person of many facets. My inner child is very much still with me but I need to put aside that part of me for the time being and really concentrating on the responsibilities of growing up. It just hasn't really hit me yet that I'm going to University. It's like saying it is Christmas Eve today and tomorrow will be the exciting Christmas Day and what do you expect...presents. My day tomorrow feels like the big Christmas Day but without the presents...just the big meal, which to me will be the meeting of new faces and the induction of my course.

I'm not really the religious type but Christmas Day isn't really about presents and we all know it, but it's the thing that most un-religious people look forward to. As much as I love it too, I feel that we're being kind of greedy and I can relate to that with my accommodation. Christmas is about the message of being Thankful. I should be Thankful that I'm going to University and the one I have wanted to go to since I set eyes on it. It has been competitive statistically this year and some people didn't even get the University they wanted to and had to go through clearing. Some may not have had that at all.

I wish the best of luck to my friends who are living away from their homes, it is such a big big thing and very very brave. I may get my accommodation soon but for the time being I need to stop being selfish and be Thankful I'm getting half of what I wanted rather than nothing at all.

I'm still going to Uni but just in a different experience to everyone else. I suppose I have always been the kind of person who goes against the crowd.

Here is to the beginning of Photography!!!









2 comments:

  1. Go Zoe! I don't know how it feels to have to commute to uni but I can sympathise with your Christmas day analogy. I really hope you get accommodation soon! Good luck tomorrow, it'll be awesome, I promise. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetie. Hope you have settled in nicely :)

    ReplyDelete