Tuesday 14 February 2012

It's not just about seeing....

I had an exceedingly interesting, nerdy photography lecture today at Uni.
We began a module called Experimental Image which includes different approaches to creating photographs and I am so excited about it.

Firstly we will be looking at Blind Photography. And those with version make jump at this and think.."Wait, how can you take a photo when you are visually impared". Well the answer to that question is that  the Blind have very effective senses other than sight. They feel the environment rather than see it. If you can grab a copy then I suggest, you should watch Proof, a 1991 Australian film on a blind photographer.
It just really made me think how people can see, that their sight for granted. We can open our windows and see what the would is like outside, the colours, the features of peoples faces; a smile, or even the words and that I am typing right now. Life must be very very different.

So the first part of my project, will include for each student to be placed in pairs and take fifty odd pictures and see how they turn out. It may sound wacky to some of you but I can really see how much trust you have to put in yourself and how much control you need on your camera to get a decent photo. With this brief, we can't delete photos so I think it will be really interesting what I manage to capture and I shall be creating a post in the next to weeks of my progress.


2 comments:

  1. I love thinking about the way other people see the world so this really interests me... it must be so difficult to be blind, but it would also be incredible to experience that heightening of the other senses. I can't wait to see what you come up with for this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pictures surprisingly turned out alright. There is a part 2 of the project so I will upload both parts as an comparison.

    ReplyDelete