Friday 3 September 2010

Bunkfest Festival...not quite a fancy wedding [ Day 1 of 3]


It is sometimes natural for me to think, because it is September, the weather should be over-cast, trees should be shredding their leaves and the atmosphere of England has generally headed out of Summer.

Instead it was a surprisingly warm day, perfect for the Bunkfest Festival in the historic town of Wallingford. I'm not going to go into the history of it (much like my mum would) but it is a really beautiful old fashioned town combined with its modern English elements.
I was there today as part of my work experience. It was the first time without Stuart, but he was busy at a bigger festival so he suggested the job to me. I felt that he trusted me enough to do a good job on the photos, which felt like big step for my career. Bunkfest is an annual event and Stuart has gone for a few years now, being included with photographers to capture the feeling of a festival and it's community. He got in contact with the orangisers, which sent me anemail with their desired Photo-wish list. There were about five other photographers listed with different jobs.

The event is set over three days which gives us the oppertunity to go all around the venues in Wallingford and support them with photos for their website.

Today was the warm-up day - the putting up of stalls etc. Though all the photographers had their jobs, we were able to go around and take pictures of visitors and the stalls. I was able to get some head-start practise for the weekend ahead.

As I am not a driver yet my parents accompanied me on this trip and made some effort to help me find my way around a suggest things to take pictures of. We went to one of the pubs where the some of the music acts were held, for a bit of lunch, andwe managed to bump into the main orangiser of the festival who allowed me to take his photo. After finishing my fish finger sandwhich, a group of three people arrived at the pub, playing music with violins and accordions. I managed to get some shots of them, which I was pleased with and it helped me see what I needed to capture over the coming days.

It is hard sometimes writing, recording what you have done over a day. Your mind remembers the main parts or the exciting parts and then it forgets the tiny details that connects one section of your day to another. Therefore I'm sorry if I jump from one thing to another.

I met some more people in the afternoon, running stalls and who asked to have their photos done. As well as learning how to use a camera properly and using techniques this work experience is helping me build my confidence with people. I can be very shy around new people and I know that photographers talk to people a lot. They have to be demanding and initiate conversations. There was one stall in the arts and crafts tent who had an interesting story about how they are recycling old things they don't want into new things. There was one bag that caught my eye. It was made out of old Whiskers packets (cat food) and had been weaved together which I thought was a very good idea for people who like cats. My mumhad previously been saying to me to talk to people and ask if they want their photos done for the Bunkfest website. I kept replying with "No, they don't want to talk to me, I don't want to bother them" but then I remembered that I had been given a "Press" pass when I arrived, which meant it was what they would have expected from me - this was my job. And with this stall the people were so friendly I managed to pluck up some confidence and they allowed me to capture them. It doesn't sound like a big thing to all you extraverts out there, but for an little introvert like me, it's a breakthrough.

I retired gently into the warm afternoon and felt like there wasn't much to take photograph until tomorrow. I will be based in the pubs with the music acts, but I'll go into more detail later.

What a way to spend a day at work... here are some photos from the days events.

Want to visit my Flickr photostream with the featured photos in my blog and more then click the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brown_eyed_dreamer/

No comments:

Post a Comment